Ten tips for better sleepJune 3, 2019
What’s the deal with acne…with Annaliisa KappJuly 24, 2019
These paleo and vegan blueberry crumb bars are gooey sweet and totally addicting! They’re a great treat to have around for a healthy snack or dessert. Easy to make and total comfort food!
Author: Michele Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Cooling Time: 1 hr Total Time: 50 minutes Course: Baking/Dessert Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan Servings: 16 bars
Crust and Crumble:
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter or cashew butter
- 3 tbsp organic coconut oil refined, melted and cooled to almost room temp
- 1/4 cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/3 coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp maple or coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch or tapioca
Make the filling:
- Place blueberries in a medium saucepan over med. heat, add the lemon juice, sugar, and starch, then stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring to avoid burning, then lower the heat to a strong simmer. Continue to simmer a few minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a separate bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the crust/crumble:
- Combine the dry ingredients (EXCEPT the sugar) in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the nut butter, coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla extract. Stir the dry mixture into the wet until a crumbly dough forms.
- Line an 8×8” baking pan with parchment paper along bottom and sides and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the pan to form the crust. Chill remaining dough in the fridge while crust pre-bakes.
- Bake bottom crust in the preheated oven for 10 mins until set. Once done, top the crust with the blueberry mixture.
- Take the remaining chilled dough and crumble over the filling evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until topping is golden brown and set.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan to bring to room temp, before cutting into squares. You can also chill prior to cutting to make things easier. Serve at room temp and store leftovers covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Calories: 143kcal Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 2gSodium: 79mgPotassium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 3gVitamin A: 0.3%Vitamin C: 3.8%Calcium: 4.2%Iron: 3.6%